Saturday, February 21, 2009

Only Rain Produces Rainbows

It only takes a moment for life to zig when you're expecting a zag.

I was feeling fine one day, the next morning I started to dehydrate. About every year or so I go through this because of a condition I have. The normal routine when this happens is to go to the emergency room, spend about 5 to 8 hours, get a concentrated dose of meds, put on my superman cape and get on with life. This time was different.

I grew weak that morning, aching all over and unable to keep anything down most importantly, my medications. My hands began to shrivel up like a syringe was sucking all the moisture out of them. By the time Lucy got me to the ER, I felt like my 4'8"inch frame had shrunk to 3'8"...Because I was so severely dehydrated, my veins began to collapse and drawing blood became an issue. I was in ER for eleven hours before being admitted.

It took nearly five days for me to stabilize and get my exit pass from St. Luke's. As I lay in bed watching one exciting television program after another and talking to God, I wondered a lot and whined a little. I thought about what I was suppose to learn from all this, besides watch less television.

The Bible tells us that it rains on the just and the unjust (Matthew 5:45) just as it did in the days of Noah. The difference between Noah and the others was that he got the promise of the rainbow. Bad things happen to all people at some time but as believers in the one true God we can hope in a rainbow at the end of every adverse situation.

Rainbows are lovely but you don't get to see them unless you go through a little rain. Lucy and I have had a bit of rain these past two months. We're believing for a beautiful rainbow! Our hope is continually in God (Psalm 71:14)

No comments: