Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Good Hearts

A Key. Some water. An interview and one very large cantaloupe! So what do they all have in common?

It's amazing to me that Lucyah and I can enter a new town, walk a country road and meet friends that were strangers five minutes ago! When they woke up this morning, they didn't know us and we didn't know them and yet...something clicked in their hearts and ours. Before we leave each others company...we're friends!

Before we left Mt. Airy, NC, the Barefoot Prophet gave us the key to his home. He said we were always welcome whether he was there or not! I hadn't been walking in Virginia long when a young girl (around twelve or so) saw me on the road. She thought I looked hot and tired...she was right!...and she asked her mom if they could go get me a cold water. Five minutes later I was thanking my sweet benefactor.

Not too much later Richard Rogers, the News Director of WHEO (1270AM) in Patrick County, VA saw our RV parked at Wal-Mart and stopped to talk with Lucy. He wanted to do radio interview. We didn't have cell phone access so she sent him up the road after me and said she would join us shortly. Richard played the interview several times the next day and asked people to call in or tell if they met us or saw us.

The next day, we met Daniel Louis from WHEO. Daniel oversees their webpage and while telling him how friendly and giving the American people are...Buddy knocked on our door. He just wanted to know if we'd like a cantaloupe. He said he bought two but he only needed one. He just didn't know why he bought the other one until he heard the radio program and then saw our RV parked right across from where he was working!

All these people gave what they could....a key, some water, an interview and a very large cantaloupe. They all offered the hand of friendship and we took it. Being on the road we've discovered that the American people want to give and if you want to show them respect, you accept what they offer as thankfully as you can. Receiving with grace is a gift that you give back. It tells people, "I value you and I appreciate your thoughtfulness" and we do.

We so appreciate this country and its people.

1 comment:

Michele said...

My car met you 3 times on your journey through Patrick County and each time my child would say he blessed our car mom. She met you more times as you traveled to Martinsville, with great enthusiam. I wish you and your wife safe travels on your journey. I wish the economic times were so that I could pick up walk a ways with you to see the great country and people God created.